Arrangements for the admission of children with disabilities
The admission of children with disabilities is considered in the first instance in the same way as non-disabled children. Further considerations are made in the light of need and accessibility and the school would work with parents/carers and other agencies involved to ensure that appropriate provision could be provided. It is the school policy to accommodate children with disabilities should parents wish and individual needs are planned for to prevent any children with disabilities being treated less favourably than other children.
In practice, we ensure that classroom and extra-curricular activities encourage the participation of all children, including those categorised as having Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Staff organise human and physical resources within the school to increase access to learning and participation by all children.
Existing facilities provided to assist access to the school by children with disabilities:
- Step free access to the school site and into the school buildings, 3 disabled parking bays are available by the main reception doors.
- Carpeted classrooms to aid hearing impaired children’ learning.
- Exterior lighting to improve evening access.
- Routes to the main entrance are clearly signed and free from obstructions
- Disabled toilets for adults and children are available
- Single storey building with typically wide corridors and access routes.
Further details on accessibility can be found on the Key Policies page in the Accessibility Plan.