At Great Hollands, our broad, planned and relevant curriculum brings learning to life through investigations and open-ended learning, providing an emphasis on both knowledge and skills to help our children develop a thirst for learning.
Learning is carefully sequenced and linked across subjects, ensuring that over time our children both know and remember more. At Great Hollands, our curriculum: recognises children's prior learning; provides first-hand learning experiences; and is underpinned by the academic rigour needed to ensure depth of learning. Throughout the school, our curriculum is complimented by learning opportunities to ensure our children's spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
In Key Stage 1 we use the Read, Write Inc scheme to assist in the teaching of phonics. More information about the scheme can be found at www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/
Our FAQ for parents about how we teach reading using the programme can be found here.
Our key aim is that when children leave us at the end of Year 6, they are secondary school ready and equipped with the following:
- a high standard of reading, writing and maths knowledge
- the skills required to communicate effectively
- the ability to independently plan, monitor and evaluate their thinking and learning
- confidence in themselves and the resilience to take on new challenges
- the aspirations to aim high and challenge themselves to achieve
If you require further information regarding the curriculum, please contact Ms York, via the School Office.